Sunday 21 August 2011

Area 7 Absurdity

I have just finished reading my second Matthew Reilly crazy action / thriller - Area 7 - and all I can say is what the hell was that? Where does this guy get his imagination from?  I am now definitely a fan of the Shane Schofield / Scarecrow series, even though the plots are the antithesis of how I usually like my narratives to unravel.  Meaning action novels are not really my thing.

I do, however, like how Reilly turns classified government information on its head.  If governments don't want to divulge their secrets to the populace, I am delighted that authors with insanely active imaginations take the basics of weaponry and espionage and then just make up a whole lot of shit to fit their storyline.  And governments can't say the storyline isn't true because they can't defend classified information one way or the other.  Love it. 

Postscript:

Just finished Reilly's third novel in the Shane Schofield series - Scarecrow - and it's just as farfetched and captivating as the other two.  Now onto Hell Island.  Sounds delightful.

No comments:

The niche world of the antiques fair

While vintage shopping is certainly in fashion among younger crowds, who eschew fast fashion for its often unethical manufacturing practices...