Monday 14 October 2013

Dragons!

In the spirit of blogging about everything except what I had for dinner last night (pumpkin soup), here's another exciting entree to my blogpost platter.

Let's talk about dragons.  Apart from the fact that they are just flying lizards who more often that not breathe heat, fire and possibly volcanic lava, what's not to love about dragons?  Who doesn't love a mobile oven that's on the blink?

I'm personally not a fan of dragons, but that's because they usually arise in those long tedious sci-fi books involving epic journeys with rings and wizards.  Life hard's enough without going on a fictitious, suicidal mission with a bunch of hobbits and Orlando Bloom. 
The hobbits have given me a terrible headache.

Popping a dragon in your storyline seems like an easy out to me.  Oh no, how is the hero going to escape? Oh, it's okay, he has a fire-breathing dragon buddy that conveniently negates every other problem that he comes across.

I write of dragons today because I just went on one last week.  A dragon boat actually.  I was a little disappointed that my dragon boat didn't look anything like a dragon, rather an elongated canoe, but no matter.

It was a first training session for a corporate charity challenge, raising money for a breast cancer initiative called Dragons Abreast, and and it was so fun.  Dragon boating is fairly technical, and you get completely saturated with blue-green algae bloom-infused Lake Burley Griffin water, but it's all fun.  So fun. That is all for now.

No comments:

The niche world of the antiques fair

While vintage shopping is certainly in fashion among younger crowds, who eschew fast fashion for its often unethical manufacturing practices...