Thursday 1 May 2014

Top Gun pilot shit

Yesterday I watched some Top Gun, a little known independent flick from the 80s that no-one watched or cared about.  The End.

And after that happened, I watched The Making of Top Gun and I thought to myself, "oh, THAT Top Gun.  I thought they meant the other Top Gun that crashed and burned the first time", or whatever.

Top Gun made Tom Cruise the weirdo he is today.  I suppose his perplexing Scientology interests and holy matrimony to Joey from Dawson's Creek and Nicole Kidman from Australia didn't help much.  Neither did any of the movies he's made since Top Gun.  Days of Thunder was satisfactory I suppose, but only because I feel the need the need for speed.

So The Making of Top Gun was damn fascinating and all, but it was kind of a buzz kill.  It's all aerodynamical nerds with their paper fighter jets and remote control planes.  Since watching it I've figured out that I don't even know what is real anymore.  I mean, does Australia even have a RAAF?

I certainly hope so, because we've coughed up over $12 billion for 72 Joint Strike Fighters.  I don't know all the details, but I believe they will be made of strong cardboard, because we Aussies like to get bang for our buck.




No comments:

The niche world of the antiques fair

While vintage shopping is certainly in fashion among younger crowds, who eschew fast fashion for its often unethical manufacturing practices...