Tuesday 22 March 2011

Entropy and my physics-induced migraine

Last week I attended a special meeting of the Canberra Astronomical Society (CAS).  The meeting was called to vote on whether the society would amend their Constitution so family members would be treated as separate entities, rather than as a block membership, or something.

This resolution came about because of the loopy behaviour of one psychotic member, who can’t be thrown out of the society under the current Constitution, because her membership is linked to her equally odd former astronomer boyfriend. They are not family, but they joined the society together, or something. It’s very confusing, but the point is the society is trying to pass a vote that will allow a vote to get rid of this narcissistic, histrionic personality disorder-addled woman.

Angela, as I shall refer to her because that's her name, has been causing problems for a long time. Like sending offensive and abusive email rants, and, lately, physically abusing other members and tossing around personal threats. So this special meeting was called so the society can move on from this episode and get back to doing what they do best; that being astronomising.

My mother, a long-time society member and Secretary, puts me down as a member every year, despite the fact that I have never registered any particular interest in astronomy, stars, planets or galaxies. I’m not disinterested, but I’m also not a hard-core fan of the science. Science, in fact, is something that escapes me for the most part, probably because I’m not smart enough to understand the ins and outs of entropy, for example; the second law of thermodynamics. If I was honest, I think it is quite interesting, but I will leave it to brilliant scientists to get all excited about it.

One of these brilliant scientists, Dr Charley Lineweaver, was the guest speaker for the meeting. Considering I only showed up in anticipation of seeing crazy lady and her crazy antics for the first time, I was a bit wary of having to sit through an hour long science presentation without accidently falling asleep. As it turns out, Dr Lineweaver is not only a ridiculously intelligent astrobiologist; he is also brilliant at working a room.  In the Leonard Hofstadter self-depreciating way, not the Sheldon Cooper irony deficient way.

Physics translator -
Dr Charley Lineweaver
His energy and passion for science made the lecture fascinating and thoroughly entertaining. It was like an hour long episode of The Big Bang Theory. I actually followed about 70% of his talk; the biological references in particular were totally up my alley.  The other 30% I found completely incomprehensible, or replete with confusing scientist jokes, that I pretended to understand and then whole-heartedly laughed along with the crowd.  Hey, don't judge.

And thanks to my stern concentration in trying to get my ahead around the impossible (physics and I are generally not allowed in the same room together), my brain decided it hated me, and I ended up with a 30-hour physics-induced migraine.  So that was tops.  I had reached maximum entropy.  My very own heat death, if you will.  Or something.  So I am now armed with a comprehensive understanding of entropy.  When I say comprehensive, I mean very loose.  

Anyway, the night was a success, and the room passed the vote by 77%, so the Constitution can now be amended. CAS utilised the services of a mediator from the ACT court system to run the poll, so Angela cannot come back with her crazy rants that it is all unfair and rigged, and I believe there were security personnel in the room in case things (crazy lady) got out of control. I promise you I am not making any of this up.  As it turns out, Angela just sat there all psycho-style; acerbic look, eyes glaring, arms crossed.  She's four-foot nothing but quite terrifying.  Hopefully she will now find something new to obsess about.

No comments:

The niche world of the antiques fair

While vintage shopping is certainly in fashion among younger crowds, who eschew fast fashion for its often unethical manufacturing practices...