Monday 25 April 2011

Three of my favourite things

Question.  What in the world is cooler than three F/A-18 Hornets flying over your head?  That's right; there is nothing better.  End of story.

Flying Awesomeness
This morning, while watching our diggers march through the streets of Canberra on Aunty ABC for ANZAC Day commemorations, I got wind that three hornets would be coming through very shortly.  I knew this because I heard their familiar grumbling in the distance.  And, I must say, I have got my FA-18 routine down pat now.  FA for Fast As.

As soon as I hear them, I race madly around the house to grab my camera, clumsily assemble it for optimal viewing, and race out to the balcony in less time than it takes them to do a gigantic loop around the Tuggeranong Valley.  When I say Valley, I mean the entire Snowy Mountain region, not just down to the Hyperdome.  I'm pretty sure they are immune from double demerits on easter weekend, but who knows with the ACT Government.  The RAAF probably get speeding tickets all over the country for going 950 kilometres over the limit in an 80 zone.

The RAAF are pretty bang on when it comes to timeliness, but ANZAC ceremonies don't always tend to be, which is to be expected when you invite politicians along.  So I had the good fortune of watching these jets circle in the distance for about 10 minutes.  I imagine it wasn't very exciting for the pilots - who were probably working on their morning crossword puzzles - but it was fairly awesome for me. 

But I did do a bit of thinking about where I should locate myself for when they eventually headed into town.  They needed to get through me to fly over the service at the War Memorial, but the cunning little jets tend to bypass residential areas when they are coming in low.  As it turned out, they thought it best to fly directly over my house, wing tip to wing tip, while I snapped away like a paparazzo on meth.  So exciting. 

No comments:

The niche world of the antiques fair

While vintage shopping is certainly in fashion among younger crowds, who eschew fast fashion for its often unethical manufacturing practices...