Tuesday 14 August 2012

Back in the Box

Today was my first day back at work following a month long vacay to the United States of Crazy.  Despite the fact that I couldn't go for a swim in Waikiki at 11:00, I somehow, miraculously, survived the day and ended with the same chill-Mahalo-Hawaiian attitude that gripped me in Oahu.  Brilliant.

It might have something to do with my habit of keeping my expectations low so the worst that can happen to me is that I occasionally get a bit surprised.  But attending a seminar on the Budget Life Cycle didn't help matters at all and possibly shortened my own life cycle.

After you have had a break from your life for a while, it seems that you need to relearn a lot of basic things that previously were completed in an automatic fashion, like walking on the right side of the footpath, and how much is the pentagon shaped coin worth, and, you know, the way to work and where to park.   

So I'm going to try and put myself back in the box and stop thinking about Hawaii for 24 hours a day, because I really don't think that'll fit in with my Canberra lifestyle, unfortunately.  Reality is a cruel mistress.  The conservative Canberra public servant box feels more like a coffin that is being lowered into the ground while I'm kicking and screaming, "I'm still alive!  Let me out!" 

No comments:

The niche world of the antiques fair

While vintage shopping is certainly in fashion among younger crowds, who eschew fast fashion for its often unethical manufacturing practices...