Friday 18 July 2014

Gulf heat - Abu Dhabi in July

Having recently spent about 20 hours in an Abu Dhabian summer I can safely say this; I would never, ever live there. Not even an expensive arab gold bullion would tempt me.

Abu Dhabi is conveniently located in the fucking desert. Which is great if you are a camel or a cactus, but not so great if your skin melts off your skin like a golden gaytime. Speaking of gay times, I didn't really have one of those in my 20 hours.

The heat and humidity rudely hits you in the face about 8 o'clock in the morning as you are chauffered to your hotel. The heat is pure oppression.

Abu Dhabi is a ghost town in July which is probably due to Ramadan - no drinking, eating or fun having before sunset. It's probably also due to the fact that it's fucking hot, as I mentioned. I will mention it again because it is the defining feature of that little town.

When I say little, I mean extreme and over the top, as if the world's richest men were given a brief to compete with each other to build the biggest, weirdest, least pratical concrete structures they could come up with.

There is a permanent purpose built Formula One track. Whole complete grandstands built for one weekend a year where the desert town hosts Bernie Ecclestone and his racy mates.

One massive ugly building competition. You win, Abu Dhabi.

No comments:

The niche world of the antiques fair

While vintage shopping is certainly in fashion among younger crowds, who eschew fast fashion for its often unethical manufacturing practices...