Tuesday 26 March 2013

Apartment Purchasing Adventures

Not much of note has happened in my life recently.  Except I bought a house last week, so there's that.  Yep, after donkey years of steadfastly refusing to commit to anything I consider a 'big deal', I bought a friggin' house.  Kudos to me.  I had been looking seriously into the real estate market for about four months.  The process has been excruciatingly annoying at times, but not too bad for the majority of my journey.

About a month ago I fell in love with a unit in Queanbeyan, near my home town of Canberra.  It was exactly what I wanted, except it also had more crosses than ticks when I ran it through my dream list-inator.  So I was fairly bummed when it dropped in price and then some dirty housesnatching housestealer put up an offer.  And I may be many things but I'm not a gazumper.

A few weeks later I trawled through another apartment which was located near my workplace.  It was new and beautiful and suitably handy, but I wasn't going to pay that price for that apartment.  The real estate agent told me about a new development that was being built across the road. 

So bam! kapow! and other Batman-type sound effects, a few weeks later I have my own apartment, due to be completed in July 2014.  It's fairly similar to the one in the picture*.

Aparently 70-80% of these new developments run 3-4 months overtime, which just gives me more time to save more cashola and more time to prepare for my first ever Mortgage (mortgage isn't a day of the week or a personal pronoun or a country or a trademark or a monument, but it is a Scary Word, and Scary Words are always hit with a capital letter, then italicised, enboldenised and underlined for Great Effect).

I may or may not have changed my travel route so I drive past the site on my way home from work, allowing me to track the progress daily.  Is that weird?  Maybe I'll chart the progress in a blog - because that what bloggers do - and I can go and take endless photos and stuff.  That won't be annoying for the builders at all.

*It's a bit bigger than the one in the picture.

No comments:

The niche world of the antiques fair

While vintage shopping is certainly in fashion among younger crowds, who eschew fast fashion for its often unethical manufacturing practices...