Sunday 31 March 2013

Donna from That 70's Show

Unless it was English literature period or sports related, I didn't pay a great deal of attention in primary slash high school, but I'm pretty sure that during geography (or math or biology or textiles or whatever they taught it in) they indicated, through a procession of native costumes from around the world, that there were at least 30 people in the world. 

In the ensuing 82 years since I've become an adult, it must be at least 40 annoying human beings by now inhabiting this place.  Which means some of us must have a doppelganger or two or three.  We can't all be different.

For many years people - often strangers, weirdly; strange and weird strangers actually - have been telling me that I look a lot like Donna from That 70's Show.  Ah, Donna from That 70's Show.  Bloody Donna from That 70's Show. 
The offending actress.
I used to quite like That 70's Show until I started getting compared to bloody Laura Prepon, the offending actress who happens to be the spitting image of Donna. 

I didn't really mind the comparison - I mean, who cares - but I have been stroppy about it for so long that it would be hairbrained to just go along with it now.  I got the Donna comment again last week, which has strongly encouraged this social media rant.  

Bloody late night reruns on free-to-air.  It wasn't too bad when Laura had red hair, even when the show was on in prime time in the early 00's.  But as soon as she decided to go blonde I was a'stuffed.  

And much of this was before the gods of internet search engines reinvented the wheel, in the days when people actually had to use their brains to try and work things out for themselves, rather than just type "daggy television actresses" into The Google.  

And there's nothing more annoying than someone trying to remember who you look like and thinking you have any interest whatsoever in helping them in this process.

While I refuse to be able to see this apparent likeness, I've been following Laura's career over the years out of self-respect really, fearful that, as an out-of-work actress receiving meagre Hollywood benefits, she may decide to take on a D-Grade movie role as a dancer in a tawdry, seedy strip club.  I don't much care what Laura Prepon does with her life, so long as she keeps her clothes on while she's doing it.        
        

No comments:

The niche world of the antiques fair

While vintage shopping is certainly in fashion among younger crowds, who eschew fast fashion for its often unethical manufacturing practices...