Friday 29 March 2013

Big Mobs of Public Holidays

Here in Canberra we've just simultaneously celebrated hot air balloon season and fireworks season.  At least that seems to be the takeaway for me.  It's probably best to not try these things at the same time, particularly if you are doing them in your living room.  Although if you are going to do it in front of the TV, it is probably a good idea to drink a lot of anything with an alcohol content beforehand.  Only good things can happen once the vodka's kicked in.

The other week we had the old duck's - Canberra's - 100th birthday blowout.  The fireworks were meh (I forgot that low expectations are key), and the omnipresent hot air balloons were either terrifying (Darth Vader) or lethal (crashing into the Treasury building).

I'm thinking spatial awareness might be one of the more important attributes to bring to the table if you want to drive a supersized ball of plastic powered by a naked flame around the sky.  But what do I know, I drive a Toyota Corolla on bitumen.  Although I probably am one of only a handful of locals who have never sideswiped a government building. 

The Darth Vader one went over my house at dawnish, so that was pretty cool.  Although the downside from telling people about my dark little visitor was that all day at work people shouted Star Wars references at me which are either so overused as to be made redundant, or I didn't understand them at all because my brain doesn't place a high priority on storing popular culture references, particularly those from decades ago.  

And then when I faked confusion, because it entertains me so, they decided I needed superfluous explanations, and, well, I just don't care enough about Luke and the Solo Man or whatever his name is.

I seem to be filibustering to come up with a blog post these days.  Geez, I'm not looking for Pulitzer material, I'm just trying to fill the space between the ads that I didn't ask for. 

No comments:

The niche world of the antiques fair

While vintage shopping is certainly in fashion among younger crowds, who eschew fast fashion for its often unethical manufacturing practices...