Monday 3 October 2011

Wonka 'Pinstripes' dream

I’m not one to analyse my dreams, given they are just a stream of my subconscious trying to process whatever is that is in my head at that time. This dream, however, was very real, and occurred sometime between 11:30pm Saturday 24 September and 8:00am Sunday 25 September 2011.

It began with me standing in the middle on an air strip with a cluster of people.  I don’t know who they were as I never saw their little faces; they had their backs to me at all times.  Pfft.  And I imagine there was a compelling reason that caused me to stand in the heart of an busy airfield.  I just stood there as old World War II-type aircrafts took off and landed just feet away from me.  There was a plane with three wings on one side and two on the other side.  I felt the wind rush through my hair as they swept past.  My hair annoys me even in my dreams.

It eventually occurred to me that this was not the best place to stand. You know, in the middle of a busy airfield. It’s good to see that my subconscious has a fraction of common sense when the rest of my brain was asleep. I like analysing all the stuff that I should have cared about in dreams; like the fact that I was perfectly comfortable, initially, standing in the middle of an airfield.  So I picked up my old fashioned grey suitcase and ran across the tarmac, somehow managing to avoid being decapitated by engine propellers.

And then, abruptly, I was aboard some manner of ocean-faring transport, a mishmash of a P & O party cruise liner and a war ship.  Why wouldn't I dream about these; they are everywhere. One could walk about the deck and find a mix of drunk teenage hooligans and, err, injured sailors.  One sailor was sitting below deck, leaning against a wall and blocking the walkway. 

He had a bullet hole in his leg and I just stepped over him.  This ship / party liner was in the middle of the ocean.  It didn't seem to occur to me at the time the curiousness of how Mr Sailor sustained such injuries without a hole being blown into the side of the ship.  That's what I love about dreams; nothing makes a whole lot of sense.  

At the far left of one of the decks were the ‘staff quarters’, called Pinstripes for some inexplicable reason. I was able to look down the Pinstripes means of access, and saw that it went all the way to the bottom of the ship, like a fireman’s escape without the pole ,or as if looking down a rabbit hole. The typeface for this area was comical and candy striped, and instantly reminded me of the Wonka factory.

And then I was awake.

No comments:

The niche world of the antiques fair

While vintage shopping is certainly in fashion among younger crowds, who eschew fast fashion for its often unethical manufacturing practices...