Thursday 20 June 2013

Big Mobs of Randomness.

Two things got my goat today.  A supreme jerk on a mobile phone and writer's block.  So my brain's now gone offline and random.  Best to just let it go.

Tackling issue number one.  Flashback to beautiful Waikiki - Summer 2012.  Mobile phones completely ruin everything.  Lively dinner conversations, the patience of shops assistants, lunchtime walks in the sun, my beach ambience. Ruined. By a man with a loud voice and a Samsung. It lasted five minutes, but five minutes too long.  I closed my eyes and swore under my breath.

As he put it down on his towel, I did a dramatic commando roll over to his spot, picked up his precious phone, and hurled it into the ocean, where I heard it pop into the water with a little splash. I strolled back to my spot with a hint of a smile and sat back down to enjoy the sunshine.  Unfortunately when I opened my eyes he was making a new call.  Daydreaming: doesn't get you thrown in the clink.

Tackling issue number two.  Fucking writer's block.  She was laying on the lush grass behind the rusting suspension bridge that was built in the 20s, and should have been torn down in the 30s. Some people write novels - good and bad - in the 24 hours that is their day. She wondered how prolific writers manage their time, their ideas, their energy and their motivation.

Do they ever sit at their laptop, fingers poised over the keys, waiting for the next action of their hero or heroine to emerge in their mind, only to discover that the character is not a real tangible thing they can observe and write about? I doubt it. Real writers have a game plan.

No comments:

The niche world of the antiques fair

While vintage shopping is certainly in fashion among younger crowds, who eschew fast fashion for its often unethical manufacturing practices...