Monday 17 June 2013

Fitness - Plateaus, Walls & Moveable Partitions

New post - click. I'm the Daniel Day-Lewis of method writing.

One seems to have plateaued in one's quest for a lofty fitness goal.  Gosh, that word plateaued is rather vowel greedy, isn't it?  Indulge me while I momentarily become one of those pretentious little twats (Age journalists) who define words for their five readers.  Thanks pretentious twats, but I have a dictionary and half a brain.  One definition of plateau coming up:

In geology and earth science, a plateau (/pləˈtoʊ/ or /ˈplætoʊ/; plural plateaus or rarely plateaux) is an area of highland, usually consisting of relatively flat terrain.  Plateaus can be formed by a number of processes, including upwelling of volcanic magma, extrusion of lava, and erosion by water and glaciers.

Hold up, I dont think that's the plateau I'm looking for; pretty sure I'm reading from the wrong playbook.  Humans haven't secreted lava since 2005.  That's the last time I rely on the crusty old Encyclopedia Britannica.  Pages falling out everywhere.  But I just don't know where else I could find such an extensive range of information resources... Someone needs to invent something to keep all those things in the same place.

I'm turning a certain age this year.  Let's just call it somewhere between two and fifty-eight.  And I've decided that I must be superbly fit and healthy when doomsday hits on 4 October.  It was all going along swimmingly until a few weeks ago when I hit a wall. 

Hello wall, you massive jerk.  I hate walls.  They are so annoying and immovable.  Unless you have a wreaking ball attached to your forehead it's gotta be mind over matter, baby.  So, in order to rid myself of this pesky fictitious solid vertical structure I shall deem it a movable partition and go from there.

This quote might help.  I love a good quote.  Also, trying harder might help.


No comments:

The niche world of the antiques fair

While vintage shopping is certainly in fashion among younger crowds, who eschew fast fashion for its often unethical manufacturing practices...