Monday 16 September 2013

Mobile phone drone

I had a conversation with a youth today, although I'm not very savvy with ages so Bob (not her real name) could have been anywhere between the ages of 8 to 22. The youth tend to identify themselves to me by being despairingly naive and idealistic about the fate of the world, usually self righteous, often entitled, and just overwhelmingly youthful, which is irritating.

I too cared about the fortunes of the world until I was approximately 23 years old. I have diaries and notebooks full of my political rantings and unbridled philosophising. I think I even believed in the prospect of world peace at some point. Aww, sah cute. At any rate, world peace is one of those things that sounds good in principle but is really not healthy for the economy.

Our conversation revolved around technology and how it needed to be kept up with, apparently. Bob is about to buy some new mobile telephone, called the iPhone something, and it’s going to cost Bob a fortune but Bob doesn’t care because Bob has to have it. I queried what was wrong with her current phone. Nothing was wrong with Bob’s current phone, even though she only bought it in April. But it’s not the latest version and it has to be the latest version or Bob’s head will spin on its axis and explode in humiliation and indignity.

I just don’t understand. I mean, what a fucking waste of money. Why do I even care? It’s none of my business how stupid people squander their wealth. My goodness, technology seems to be a bit of an addiction; like heroine or McDonald’s chicken nuggets.  So I referenced my hankering for the days when we didn’t have smart phones and this was met with a blank confused stare. I suppose Bob can’t even fathom a world without them. 

No comments:

The niche world of the antiques fair

While vintage shopping is certainly in fashion among younger crowds, who eschew fast fashion for its often unethical manufacturing practices...