Monday 13 February 2012

Warning: This Post is about Glossy Hair

Let me warn you again - this post is not going to venture into interesting territory at all.  It's about hair.

So, NEWSFLASH, I went into Woden Plaza in Canberra at lunchtime today to pick up some of my fave thermal heating protection hair product thingy stuff which is so genius that you could glide within a kilometre of the sun without your hair even knowing the difference.  I would be slightly singed, or - worst case scenario - completely obliterated, but my hair would be all chill and in tiptop shape.  The product is almost practically that good.

Alas, like any superior spaceflight product that can protect the man who is going to the moon via the sun, sometimes the shop just runs out of titanium, and there is nothing you can really do about it.  And guess what, fascinated readers?  They were all out of my product today.  And then the hair care assistant forced me to engage in banal, insipid hair talk about the importance of thermal sprays. 

And then she went all parallel universe on me and made me feel like a superficial loser by asking me if I would like her to call another store to get it sent over urgently or something.  Um, no I'm good.  I told her my hair will somehow, someway have to go on without it for a few weeks.  I think she was mocking me as I was mocking her.  It was one of those terribly awkward, uncomfortable moments you have with someone who is taking the topic of conversation far more seriously than you are. 

And then I felt like I would offend her sensibilities if I just chose a cheap inferior product instead, as a bridging capability for my hair until my product is restocked, so I went out empty handed, and feeling slightly empty-headed.  Plus I think I already have a cheap, inferior backup somewhere.  Fascinating day, I know. 

Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge arrives at the National Portrait Gallery in London, Britain, 08 February 2012. The Duchess of Cambridge carried out her first official solo public engagement by visiting the National Portrait Gallery for a private preview of the Lucian Freud exhibition.  EPA/ANDY RAIN
Anyway, I talk of hair because I have been wondering how Miss Katie, the Duchess of Cambridge and winner of the royal bachelor lotto (left), gets her hair so wonderfully glossy like a horse's mane.  Horse wig glossy.  I don't mean to sound cold - I very much like Kate - but her hair is abnormally sheeny. 

A few years ago my hair was abnormally sheeny too, as I was using a product that contained specks of gold or unicorn dust or silkworms or something.  I don't know what was in that shit, but my hair glowed like Chernobyl.  And doesn't every girl want her hair to glow like a nuclear explosion? 

On a brighter note for us girls, Kate's hair doesn't always glisten.  Sometimes it just looks like normal hair (right). The horror. 

No comments:

The niche world of the antiques fair

While vintage shopping is certainly in fashion among younger crowds, who eschew fast fashion for its often unethical manufacturing practices...