Friday 30 March 2012

The Pumpkin Effect

It’s the end of March already. What the frig? In the grand scheme of things – that being the pumpkin pie chart that is 2012 - we have eaten a slice that amounts to 25%, which makes us quite sated, happily plump and possibly on track for a bout of diabetes.

I’m glad you raised the matter of pumpkin pie, because it gives me a clear segue into my disdain for those people who think vegetables have an equal place in cakes alongside sugar, flour, butter and chocolate. Listen up people; vegetables do not belong in cakes, and their intrusion into the world of sweets has me very displeased.  I believe these people are suffering from the widespread Pumpkin Pie Effect. Vegetables don't seem to have any boundaries anymore.  They belong in roasts.  And garden beds.  Nowhere else, you hear? 

My cake rules are actually quite simple and straightforward, and I don’t really care for any variation to the regulations. All cake I consume must contain chocolate and, ideally, be 50% icing. Putting chilli or beetroot in my chocolate cake is an insult to my taste buds and simply pisses me off.  When it comes to cake, trying new things is for people who have not yet found their perfect match.  I have found mine. If you like it then you shoulda put a cake ring on it.

No comments:

The niche world of the antiques fair

While vintage shopping is certainly in fashion among younger crowds, who eschew fast fashion for its often unethical manufacturing practices...