Sunday 15 April 2012

Fashion Fail

There are many valid reasons why I do not blog about fashion, makeup, handbags, hairstyles (well, very occasionally, but only about my own locks), and other style-related topics. The main reason is that I haven't a clue about any of it really. Another reason is that I haven't any interest in it whatsoever, which is likely the more compelling explanation for why these things very rarely get a guernsey on here.

I ventured to a local shopping centre today to find some work clothes, because I've heard that wearing clothes is important and not wearing clothes is possibly a little inappropriate in my line of work.  And, you know, I thought I'd find something wearable in a clothes shop.

To be honest, I am a little mortified by the current approach to fashion. I expect it’s not the fault of the youth of today; I mean, I wore eighties fashion once too. In the eighties. Which is where it all best belongs. I do tend to convulse a little when I see ra-ra skirts, stonewashed jeans and anything at all made from taffeta.

I am still trying to forget the racing green taffeta ensemble I wore to my Year 10 prom formal thing, in the very, very late eighties, mind you. I’m not that old. My mum made it – which was a fairly popular method of attaining the formal dress back in the day – and I still have it, and it is absolutely hideous, but I adored it at the time. So I’ll let the teens have their moment wearing stuff I wore twenty years ago, but then they must shift along to the 21st century.

1 comment:

Beige Renegade said...

You are so right!! One minute people are shaking their heads at tacky retro fashion the next they're all wearing it like it's the urban uniform! I think people believe that what looks good is an objective concept, but this is obviously not the case when you see opinions changing so frequently, even irrationally.

The niche world of the antiques fair

While vintage shopping is certainly in fashion among younger crowds, who eschew fast fashion for its often unethical manufacturing practices...