Sunday 14 October 2012

Excuses and Political Signs

I guess I'll jump right in then and discuss a couple of boring things that happened today.  I realise that's probably not an ideal method to approach a blog post, but this was my ridiculous idea from earlier in the week to encourage myself to write more, and it seemed like a really good idea at the time.

Hm, where to begin?  I believe I'll start with exercise and excuses.  Unlike many of my acquaintances, I like to own my excuses and I call them where I see them.  For example, I don't go running because I hate cardio and I find it mind-numbingly boring.  And I also don't run because I can be quite lazy at times. 

But I hear a bunch of excuses - all day, every day - from many people on why they simply cannot exercise in this lifetime.  For example, I can't exercise in the cold.  I can't exercise because I have children and I don't have time.  I twisted my ankle thirty years ago; it might not be healed yet.  I can't exercise because my life is so busy and important and I just couldn't possibly fit anything else into my action-packed, yet sedentary, lifestyle.

Apart from the sometimes valid children escape clause, none of these are valid excuses.  I know this because I've used them all.  Apart from the kids one.  I think you need to own children before you can use it.

We women are the worst at whinging about having to exercise.  I'm surprised I don't hear more women saying, "well, I was due to go work for NASA as a rocket scientist, but then I fell pregnant".  These women have an excuse for everything.  Everyone has time to exercise, you just have to want to make the time.  And stop using your children as a basis for the web of excuses.

So today I went for a run - walk - run - walk; I think it's called interval training, but I call it interdevil training, because it basically sucks on a massive scale.  But I don't want to be an Excuse Person, so I will continue as best I can.

Speaking of painfully, boring things, next Saturday is the A.C.T. local election, which is of little interest to anyone in the A.C.T, let alone the rest of the world.  I think they have changed the rules around the use of political advertising around this neck of the woods, because there are a lot more signs stuck into the dirt on the side of the road than there used to be.

Today I noted that these signs are predominatly pro-Labor, which means the Labor factions have ripped out the Liberal ones.  I wouldn't vote Labor if my life depended on it, but I think this unsporting behaviour is typical of how that side behaves as a general rule.  They are either ripping out Liberal placards in the middle of the night or claiming sexism as an implausible excuse for political failures.  That's all they do.  Such great role models for the kiddies.

What else happened?  Nothing.  It turns out this latest writing thing is an abject failure.  I think I will have to think up a new tactical plan to get me in the writing mood.

No comments:

The niche world of the antiques fair

While vintage shopping is certainly in fashion among younger crowds, who eschew fast fashion for its often unethical manufacturing practices...