Monday 22 October 2012

POTUS & the Veep

I’m not sure how to put this, American cyberbot friends, so I’ll just say it as undiplomatically as is necessary – please, please do not screw up your vote in your forthcoming presidential election and vouch for that democrat Barack Obama again

Why do I care, when I live in Australia? Well I care a lot, actually, because the result of your election affects the economies of the rest of the world, so there's that.  See the power and influence you wield?  So please spare a thought for the koala bears when you're ticking those boxes on the ballot paper.   

Not that many of you give a rats about your electoral process.  Only 61.6% of Americans turned out to vote in the last presidential election in 2008, which means 98,000 registered voters just couldn't be arsed.  I really don't understand this reticence, but then I do live in a democracy that has a compulsory voting system, which means you will be fined and/or jailed if you don’t put in an appearance on election day, so there's that.

Although, I've recently had my local government election, and out of a town with 300,000 registered voters we had over 7,000 donkey votes, which mean we either have a lot of seriously stupid people who don't understand the extremely simplistic voting form, or there are a lot of fake-voters who think they are making some type of compelling protest by completely disengaging from the process.

I suspect it's a heady combination of both.  As far as I'm concerned, to change things you need to connect yourself by participating and becoming engaged.  And vote correctly.  For Mitt Romney.  Heh.

I know voting is generally a choice between the guy who was able to spend 100 millions on campaign advertising and the other guy who could only afford 99 million, but please try to show up on election day, Americans.  I'm sure there is a polling booth somewhere on the way to your nearest McDonalds.  

The last four years have been one long cupcake moment (I don't know what this is - just made it up - I do that) for incumbent POTUS Barack Obama, but he is not presidential material, and has done nothing more than screw up your declining healthcare system and devastate your economy for the past four years.  The status quo ain't working and the spending ain't sustainable.  

Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney's Veep-in-waiting, Paul Ryan, is the Chair of the vastly uninteresting-sounding House of Reps Budget Committee, and knows his stuff backwards, so give these guys a chance, y'all.

No comments:

The niche world of the antiques fair

While vintage shopping is certainly in fashion among younger crowds, who eschew fast fashion for its often unethical manufacturing practices...