Tuesday 21 May 2013

Rivers of Golden Cars

I'm currently housesitting for a work colleague, looking after a house - funnily enough - a pretty garden and a friendly, fuss-free, fancy-free pussy cat.  I'm living in an area that I don't know very well, but I quite like that, as it's like going on a summer holiday, except without all that pesky sunshine, sandy beaches, warm ocean water and laidback lifestyle.  Who the hell wants to go on a summer holiday anyway.  Only crazy people pull that shit.

In the past few months I have increased my fitness level to the point that I'm just supremely fit and am merely waiting around now for my callup to the Australian Olympic Track and Field team.  Maybe the governing body of sports people send form letters.  Should I be waiting by the mailbox? 

No-one really understands the daily vicissitudes of being an Olympic athlete, except us Olympic athletes.  Don't be envious; coveting is unattractive.  I'm even working out right now; my index fingers are among the fittest in my street.  Word.

All this fitness and et cetera et cetera means that I must run almost every day.  I've been treading the mill, riding the pushbike, and row, row, rowing the rowing machine at the gym on my cardio days, but I don't like walls, man, I need the open space.

So I have been staking out new running tracks, in so much as you can do that without your new temporary neighbours getting suspicious of strangers walking through their backyard at twilight looking for shortcuts.  I just don't understand why anyone would find that weird at all.

So today I went for a little wander and ended up fairly quickly up a mountain.  It's always a good day for up.  It was twilight by the time I got to the top and the view was spectacular.  It's only a little hill, but it's angle and position are perfectly situated to admire a wide section of Canberra. 

I sat and watched the cars during peak hour, which looked like the streets were rivers of golden lava peaking out through Canberra's many tree-lined thoroughfares.  As far as peak hour holding any allure, this was definitely it.

This is actual lava.  Any resemblance to gold cars is purely coincidental.
 

No comments:

The niche world of the antiques fair

While vintage shopping is certainly in fashion among younger crowds, who eschew fast fashion for its often unethical manufacturing practices...