Thursday 29 December 2011

A Bold & Beautiful Confession

Well, this is embarassing.  But it can be resolved.  After I watch today's episode.

Last week I was minding my own business, possibly wrapping Christmas presents or some such undertaking, when I unconsciously turned on the television for a bit of background vibes. It turned out to be around 4:30 pm which happened to be a very Bold and the Beautiful time of the day.

Half an hour later of empty dialogue, frightful acting and one dimensional characters, I was absolutely captivated. So much so that I have been forced to watch this stupid show since then. How the hell did this happen?

I think one of the characters is perpetually stoned. Although it’s hard to be certain, given all the face lifts, botox injections, and general inability to act confusing the matter. If these people could act any shoddier they would be blocks of concrete. Maybe that’s why they are always standing next to pillars, columns and stone structures. So they look competent.

Despite my new brand spanking compulsion to watch this deplorable soap, the only characters I don’t find utterly irritating are the old favourites, Brooke and Ridge, who in real life would be around 80, but in soap years, forever remain around 28 years old. Which is uncanny given their overabundance of twenty something offspring.

But I guess credit where credit’s due for the Bold producers. I ridicule the show, I detest the show, I think it is pure crap; yet I seem to be watching every day. They seem to end every show with a ‘cliff hanger’, if that’s an appropriate description for a really lame, tedious culmination of a bunch of really dreadful scenes.

Perhaps the reason I feel compelled to continue watching this drivel is because it is appealing to my need to resolve situations that involve suspense and the anxiety that surrounds it. No, that can’t be it. I think I just need to turn off the television.

No comments:

The niche world of the antiques fair

While vintage shopping is certainly in fashion among younger crowds, who eschew fast fashion for its often unethical manufacturing practices...