Friday 30 December 2011

A - Z Writing Challenge 2012

Oh look, it's nearly January again!  Last January, in a moment of pure insanity, when I was obviously writer's block-free, I decided to do a 26 day A - Z writing challenge, which involved me writing on a topic from each letter of the alphabet every day until there were no letters left.  It was actually quite fun and didn't really feel challengy at all.  X was a bit of a head scratcher because there are only a few ways you can go unless you speak Mandarin, but I think I dealt with that tricky little consonant sufficiently.

I don't know why I want to do it again.  Bit of an idiot, I suppose.  All I know is that I felt completely inspired to write last time.  The irony is that when I was constrained to topics from a letter of the alphabet it just made everyone flow so much easier.  Although it's only limiting if you limit yourself in your imagination and creativity.  There's the challenge component kicking in!  So, I'm looking forward to a month of alphabet soup that will rival Sesame Street's obsession.  *sigh*

I don't like applying restrictions to creative writing, so my only rules are that I don't cover topics I covered last time, I try to cover topics I know nothing about, and that I finish by 10 February.  Yes, I'm giving myself a 10-day margin of freedom this time, because otherwise it might become drudgery near the end.  And I want to enjoy it and use it to develop my creative writing, not resent it.

Come on January 1 - bring it!

No comments:

The niche world of the antiques fair

While vintage shopping is certainly in fashion among younger crowds, who eschew fast fashion for its often unethical manufacturing practices...