Monday 16 January 2012

Projects and the like

Hey Blog.  I've missed you, you know.  Whenever I leave you for more than a few days, usually because I'm utterly bored with you, I always come back all fresh and rejuvenated.  That said, it's been a week since I wrote 'I' in my A - Z writing challenge, which I pompously billed as an expectation to beat all new year's resolutions.

Well, thank you to astute readers who noted that I had broken my expectation (on myself) in my challenge this year.  Fair call; I'll pay that.  Evidently 'I' is nowhere near the letter 'Z'.  Although, it must be noted that 'I' comes before 'Z' in my name, so let's call it even.

I stopped the challenge this year because it wasn't inspiring me.  I know that kinda misses the point of the 'challenge' component, but I wasn't feeling it.  Writing never usually feels like work to me; it's fun, it's escapism, but it's not work, and I don't want it to become a drudge. 

My other project is going well (see here), which is good, given I ran out of excuses not to go a little while ago (see here).  After last year's health brouhaha during my winter of pain, miserableness and discontent (see here and here), I was determined to avoid the same fate this year, and thought getting fit and healthier would help keep me away from sickness, with the added bonus of teaching my muscles who is actually running the show.  Thus, I will venture to the gym four-ish days a week until I am fit and healthy with buns of steel.

If I hadn't been teased mercilessly for months with people pretending to flap their flippers at me, I would apologise to all the people who were inconvenienced last year with the sound of the human elephant seal coughing her lungs out and whinging loudly and endlessly about her pain and suffering.  The seal heckling didn't get old at all.  I have a long short-term memory, you know.  Some people, albeit slightly stupid people, are still flapping their flippers at me.  You gotta be remembered for something I suppose.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Liz, gyms are boring, socially isolating, and weirdly intimidating. Why are so many people hooked into their iPods, fixing their glass-eyed gaze at the TV, or honing their thousand mile stare, all the while doing the same routine? Now, triathlons on the other hand....

Elizabeth Neil said...

Well, anonymous person, you make a valid point. I must admit that I am of the glass-eyed, thousand mile stare brigade, mainly because I prefer to watch the tennis/cricket than talk to the 19 year old neanderthals on the equipment. I'm sure they are all pleasant enough, but I'm not terribly sociable in the gym environment. I agree, it's a little intimidating and uncomfortable. And I would take my iPod if I thought there was a chance in hell that I WOULDN'T somehow get it wrapped around my neck. I WISH I could do triathlons, but they are for really fit people, of which I am not. Do you do triathlons?

The niche world of the antiques fair

While vintage shopping is certainly in fashion among younger crowds, who eschew fast fashion for its often unethical manufacturing practices...