Monday 24 July 2017

DAY 24 The Writing Inquisition - Hawaii is everything.

Repost from 2011. Just in time for my 5th vacay to Hawaii. I am somewhat partial to the place.

Last year I flew to heaven, via economy class. I imagine first class to heaven is reserved for Mother Teresa types and that wonderful man who saved the lives of 12 horses in the Queensland Floods.

I had just permanently borrowed products from my Las Vegas hotel room, including pens, paper, slippers, handcream, shampoo, conditioner and other unidentified items in pretty aqua bottles, so that's probably why I got a seat in air steerage.

Heaven was just as I had imagined, but perhaps the stereotype was a little too cliched. Descending through puffy white clouds, I saw crystal clear waters, sandy white beaches and swaying palm trees. It was either going to be heaven or one of those trashy, indoor beaches they have in Japan.

I've always wanted to get off a plane and receive a colourful Hawaiian lei. My lei made of vibrant purple and blue frangipani was beautiful, but the flowers were wet and the climate was humid, so I popped it into my hotel room fridge and admired it from its new location, away from my neck.

The hotel was very decent, non extravagant and about a block from the all important Pacific Ocean. From the balcony I could see Diamond Head Mountain/Volcano, Waikiki Beach, and some of the Honolulu cityscape, where you could watch the morning and afternoon showers come through like clockwork.

Honolulu is very laid back, and the Hawaiians are extremely lovely. This is likely because they live in one of the most beautiful parts of the world.

Much of my time in Honolulu was spent getting sunburnt in the amazingly warm water of this tropical part of the Pacific. You just never want to get out, even when your suncream is due for a reapply. I swam, waded and floated in the water for hours, and leant on the ocean rock wall watching sail boats drift, and naval ships head in and out of Pearl Harbour in the distance.

The visit to Pearl Harbour was quite moving, and it's understandable that the U.S. decided to enter the war after this attack. I toured Mighty Mo - the U.S.S. Missouri - which wasn't stationed in the harbour in 1941, but is a magnificant floating museum near the naval base, just across from the warships that remain in their watery graves.

I stood on Mo's deck where the Japanese surrendered, and I saw the spot where a kamakazee pilot "dented" the starboard fenders on a suicide mission during the war.

The marines recovered the pilot's body, and the U.S. Government insisted he have an honourable and respectful funeral. He got his funeral, but legend has it they then unceremoniously dumped his body into the ocean.

We also visited Kilauea Volcanic Reserve on the Big Island, Hawaii. Our guide told us the island experiences all of the climates of the world, which may have been a sales pitch.

Although, I think we had about five types of weather that day. The rain drizzled as we walked down to and through the eerie Thurston Lava Tube (underground conduit in which lava has previously travelled), and the sun shone as we watched the cranky volcano plume smoke and ash, before the rain bucketed down again. It was like Melbourne on ice.

At nightfall, we fought with about 100 other tourists to stand on a rock not much bigger than your average sedan to get the best view of glowing red lava on its slow drip towards the Pacific. It was incredible and quite formidable watching raw, violent mother nature in the distance, and well worth the day trip.

Although, I learnt an important lesson on my U.S. vacay. I was given pre-trip advice which I failed to heed, which is that everything is better from the air. Helicopters all the way next time.

Miss you already, Hawaii - see you again soon.

No comments:

The niche world of the antiques fair

While vintage shopping is certainly in fashion among younger crowds, who eschew fast fashion for its often unethical manufacturing practices...