Saturday 22 July 2017

DAY 22 The Writing Inquistion - Hawaii Lilo

Repost from August 2012, during my 2nd trip to Hawaii. I'm about to make my 5th, but no-one's counting.

It's the heat of the day in Hawaii, and I'm trying to stay out of the sun a bit, to avoid adding to my collection of freckles. It's hard work getting myself banana boated for the beach every day. 
Gratutitous waterfall shot.

In other beach related news, yesterday I bought an orange donut lilo from one of the ABC convenience stores that are dotted throughout the Islands. You can't go five metres without tripping into the doorway of an ABC.

I bought the donut to enhance my aquatic pleasure, because it can often get quite tedious just lolling away the afternoon in the beautiful, temperate waters. Yes, you should feel some empathy for us poor unfortunates trapped inside the hideous ring of Hawaiian Islands.

My donut has proven to be quite handy out of the water as well. I don’t have the finest depth perception, due to my long slash short sightedness difficulties, which means I walk into things a fair bit. My donut has been used on more than one occasion as a buffer for life’s obstacles on the way to the beach, which is just across the road, but w’ever.

Perhaps when I come back to Australia I will tie three of them around me so I never get hurt again. The ultimate bandaid. I’ll get the paperwork for the patent underway on my return.

We have these new fancy high tech elevators at the hotel, where you type your floor into the keypad which is stationed outside the lift, rather than once in the lift. I am in cahoots with these machines, because I have them in my workplace, but I remember what happened when we first moved into the building a few years ago.

It was bedlam as everyone tried to cram into one lift without pressing a button, which allows the computer mainframe or something to sort you into an elevator queue. Sort of like the Sorting Hat in Harry Potter, but mostly not like that at all.

Thus, every day the tourists shove themselves in because most tourists evidently don’t know how to read the big signs in multiple languages posted everywhere. Try cramming yourself into a small lift with ten other people and 6 blown-up lilos. Must go - it's beach time again.

No comments:

The niche world of the antiques fair

While vintage shopping is certainly in fashion among younger crowds, who eschew fast fashion for its often unethical manufacturing practices...